10 Hours in Beijing International Airport (T3)
Co-written by Josie Rollin.
Last time I was in China, it took me 32 hours to get here. This time it took me 10, but left me with a 10 hour stopover before the next 10 hour flight to Melbourne. Luckily, I found a buddy: an Australian currently living in London, who also had a ridiculously long stopover. Yay to cheap deals!
Here’s our top 10 list of things to do and places to go when you’re stuck in Terminal 3.
- Lounge on a sun lounger for a few hours to accustom yourself to the airport. If you're here at the right time you will see a smoggy sunset.
- Try and sneak into the lounge for the people who don’t travel in trackies and jumpers. Give up halfway up the stairs. Dress to impress – we didn’t.
- Take a trip to the toilets. 1 out of 5 will flush itself, so choose carefully or risk being flushed upon.
- Consider purchasing a storage case in the bathroom. Everyone can see in, but only you can unlock it. Useful for storing your pregnancy test (bottom right) or your post-its and pens (top middle).
- Find yourself in one of the temples which are sprinkled between the Costas and the Duty Free. If you can’t see China itself, it’s a good photo opportunity to show off on Instagram.
- Look at the fountain. During operational hours only. 0900-1700.
- Ponder the story behind this sign. Maybe write a poem about it.
- Berate yourself for not downloading a VPN before you arrived. Calm your social media addiction by looking at this peaceful vase that you'd like to take a photo of for Facebook. Post it later.
- Try and visit Cathay House. Closed for the holidays.
- Take a nap for the rest of your time on these comfortable circular sofas. Fear not, you won’t miss your flight, you’ll be woken up by flight announcements every 2-3 minutes.
All in all, it’s a pretty good airport, although lacking in duty free apple flavour cigarettes and things to do anytime after 5pm.
(11.) Cry a bit about the formatting of this blog post, then get over it because ten hours is nearly up and we've got planes to catch... AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!